Monday, June 11, 2007

Graduation

I finally graduated MIT last week. The whole program was 2.5 years and consisted of a handful of graduate classes and a Master's thesis. There were two graduations and my parents and sister came to Boston to attend. The graduation on Wednesday was for HST students and was held at the Harvard Club. It was pretty fancy but still had a nice relaxed atmosphere. A small paragraph was read for each graduate, so it had a very personal touch. The ceremony was followed by a reception and then a large lunch... there was way too much food. Our planning wasn't perfect, so Julie and Miriam had to leave early to get the little ones at DCH. That left me with Mom and Dad. So, after lunch, I hoofed it back to the parking garage, grabbed the car and came back to pick them up.


The ceremony on Friday was the full MIT blowout. In the end, we decided that it would be too much for my parents to go, so they watched it on the web. I thought it was a blast. It was one of the most organized events I've ever been to. Basically, they need to figure out how to line up 2000 graduates, so that they can all get called in order and all receive their actual diplomas - an organizational nightmare. But it went off without a hitch. I ended up making friends with some of the other HST grads in our group, and I really enjoyed the ceremony.


My official degree is "Masters of Science in Biomedical Informatics." That and 25 cents will get you a cup of coffee, apparently.

1 comment:

Bil The Man said...

Hmm, I have $0.25 so I guess I'm good to go. I went to the caltech graduation last Friday. It was interesting. Funny to be sitting on the stage. Congrats dude, you definitely earned it.